Recipe French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup
This recipe makes 8 servings
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cups yellow onions – sliced
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. pepper
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 8 cups chicken stock – homemade
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme – chopped
- 8 slices French bread – 1 inch thick
- 8 oz. Swiss cheese – shredded
Method of Preparation:
- 1. In a large pan heat up the olive oil over a medium to high heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender – 5 minutes
- 2. Add in the sugar, pepper and salt and reduce the heat
- 3. Continue cooking the onions for another 20 -25 minutes stirring frequently.
- 4. Increase the heat to high and sauté for an additional 5 minutes until onions are golden brown.
- 5. Add in the wine, beef stock and thyme.
- 6. Cover and reduce to a low heat and let simmer for 2 hours.
- 7. Place the bread slices on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes or until they start to brown.
- 8. When serving, place 1 cup of soup into a ramekin, top with a slice of bread and 1 oz. of shredded cheese. Place in the oven until cheese is melted and serve.
Nutritional Information: per serving
Calories: 290 Protein: 17g Carbohydrates: 34g
Fat: 10g Fiber: 3g Cholesterol: 20mg
Calories: 182 Protein: 6g Carbohydrates: 31g
Fat: 5g Fiber: 3g Cholesterol: 4mg
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTERGet our 7 Day Head Start E-book for FREE!